Service Design Lab
Service Design Lab
Service Design Lab is an active research lab based in Copenhagen and part of Aalborg University, dedicated to studying and applying service design. We believe that service design can support an exploratory, co-creative and empowering approach to address broad issues of societal concern. Our key areas of research are service design management and strategy, civic service design, data driven service design.
The research group occupations
- Writing high-profile academic publications on various aspects of design and service design.
- Working on small and large scale research projects where service design fosters the collaboration of a variety of stakeholders.
- Proposing design-based frameworks and methods to empower citizens and other stakeholders in pursuing their innovative endeavors.
- Hosting focused spin-off initiatives, such as the OpenDataLab, which explores the potential of big and open data in service design.
- Contributing to academic research by co-authoring papers, reports, articles, books with fellow researchers from all around the world.
- Supporting the creation of a community and a network of actors interested in service design in Copenhagen and, more broadly, in Denmark through education, research projects, Service Design Talks, internships, and alumni network
Study related activitites
The research group runs one of the oldest and well-respected Master’s programs in Service Design with a strong research-based component.
The researchers within Service Design Lab teach and supervise students at the Master’s program, each within their field of expertise.
The target group of service design lab
The research done in the Service Design Lab can be of use to and support the development of both large and small businesses, private or public, as well as organisation, institutions, authorities and many more who work with and for people.
The research group works interdisciplinarily and collaborates with people within disciplins such as technology, psychology, communication, management, innovation, sociale initiatives and more.
Service Design Lab collaborates with many different partners, such as The Rockwool Foundation, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen Police Department, Danske Bank, and Bang&Olufsen.
Read about more research groups
At the faculty, we have more than 30 research groups and sections with internationally recognized researchers who work in the areas of: planning, digitization, autonomous systems, communication and human touch.